The District Archaeological Museum, Nizamabad, established in 2001, is located in Tilak Garden, which was established by the eighth and last Nizam of Hyderabad, Mir Osman Ali Khan, in 1936. The museum, which is maintained by the Department of Heritage, Telangana, has its artefacts spread out over three sections viz. the archaeological section, the sculptural gallery and the bronze and decorative gallery.
Palaeolithic, Neolithic and Microlithic tools from 50,000 to 5000 BCE, along with pottery and iron objects from 1000 BCE to the 3rd Century BCE make up the displays at the archaeological section. A coin collection which includes gold coins recovered from Bodhan and coins from various dynasties like Vishnukundina, Kakatiya, Ikshvaku and Satavahana.
The sculptural gallery also has pieces belonging to several of these dynasties. The key displays in this gallery are sculptures of Ganesh, Parsvanath, Veerabhadra, hero stones and panels depicting Ganga, Yamuna, Saraswati and Chennakesava.
The third gallery, the bronze and decorative gallery has bronze articles ranging from the Chalukya period to the Vijayanagara period. Bidriware, objects fashioned out of porcelain and enamel, swords, arrows, daggers and various sorts of arms and armour with decorative gold inlay work are also displayed. Along with these exhibits, the museum also has a collection of medieval miniature paintings along with modern paintings.